The Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation (GPTMC) has a contest running this summer, “Check In to a Masterpiece,” as part of the With Art Philadelphia™ campaign. Deadline of September 1 is approaching, so be sure to get busy in seeing art now!
Using Foursquare, people can share their art experiences in a new way—by virtually checking in at 12 works of art in Philadelphia. And, you could win a grand prize including an overnight stay in Philadelphia and museum memberships/tickets.
Visit Philly and Foursquare worked together to create “Check In to a Masterpiece” to encourage people to explore Philadelphia’s rich art. When Foursquare users “check in” at a specific painting or sculpture, they get bragging rights by sharing that moment with their social networks.
How “Check In to a Masterpiece” Works:
On foursquare.com/visitphilly, users can access the official “Check In to a Masterpiece” list, created by GPTMC, to explore the highlighted works of art. Once followers have checked in at a masterpiece, they can share it with their social networks—spreading the news about the great art scene in Philadelphia. The “Check In to a Masterpiece” program launches with 12 artworks of various eras and genres from six Philadelphia cultural institutions.
- Models (Poseuses) by Georges Seurat at the Barnes Foundation
- Seated Couple by the Dogon peoples at the Barnes Foundation
- Supper Time by Horace Pippin at the Barnes Foundation
- The Large Bathers (Les Grandes Baigneuses) by Paul Cézanne at the Barnes Foundation
- Swann Memorial Fountain by Alexander Stirling Calder, designed with architect Wilson Eyre at Logan Circle
- Three Wise Men Greeting Entry into Lagos by Kehinde Wiley at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (PAFA)
- The Artist in His Museum by Charles Willson Peale at PAFA
- Sphinx of Ramses II at the Penn Museum
- Puabi’s Headdress at the Penn Museum
- Sunflowers by Vincent Willem van Gogh at the Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Diana by Augustus Saint-Gaudens at the Philadelphia Museum of Art
- The Gates of Hell by Auguste Rodin at the Rodin Museum
To enter to win, users must check in at a masterpiece and broadcast the check-in via Twitter using the hashtag #withartphl. One randomly selected person will win the grand prize—an art-filled weekend stay in Philadelphia.
The With Art Philadelphia™ collaborative is a first-of-its-kind partnership to position Philadelphia among the world’s great art destinations and to increase visitation to the region from around the world.