Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts (PIFA) – Street Fair April 27

On a beautiful day in 2011, I took one of my typical strolls in the city, enjoying spring, planning to meet up with friends at the first PIFA street festival. I wasn’t sure what to expect; I assumed this would be much like other street festivals, which I love, but I was extremely impressed at the incredible style and elegance of the PIFA fest – and still loads of fun, too. The highlight were those incredible acrobats playing bells dangling above Broad Street – it was ethereal, athletic, surreal, beautiful, mesmerizing. The 2011 PIFA street fair drew thousands and great crowds are expected to this year’s event on April 27.  I can’t wait to be surprised and delighted yet again.

PIFA 2011 Street Fair (image courtesy of Kimmel Center/PIFA)

Though the Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts has just begun, everyone is anticipating the blockbuster daylong Street Fair set to close out the festival in a big way  – Saturday, April 27 on Broad Street from Chestnut to South streets, 11 am to 7 pm.

This free fair will transform the Avenue of the Arts with an eight-hour extravaganza of non-stop festivities ranging from street musicians and performers to food vendors and exhibitors.

The majestic performers suspended above Broad at the last PIFA street fest. (Images courtesy of the Kimmel Center)

This year’s entertainment lineup will include classic carnival rides like a Ferris Wheel and Galleon, a number of grassy areas, a petting zoo, jungle gyms and tons more family-friendly activities. Plus, the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts will be open all day with food and drinks by Garces Catering and free performances in Time Travel Plaza.

Check out the interactive time machine installation, concerts throughout the day on the just-for-PIFA plaza stage and, at 7 pm, watch for the newly commissioned Flash of Time musical, set in and around the time machine.

If the 2011 fair is any indication, thousands will turn out for this lively affair. See you there!

PIFA Street Fair
When: Saturday, April 27, 11 am – 7 pm
Where: Broad Street from Chestnut to South Streets
Cost: Free
More info: pifa.org