My name is Jim Cowen and I am the new Music Reference Librarian at the University Libraries. Since I started in the middle of Fall 2014, I thought I would take the start of this new semester as a chance to introduce myself. As a University of the Arts School of Music Class of 2001 alumnus, and a previous University Libraries employee from about 2001-2006, I am thrilled to be back here at UArts in my new capacity.
I will be working out of the Music Library, which is located on the third floor of the Merriam Theater building. I welcome visitors at any time to help with reference queries, give a tour, or just to say hello. Appointments are always welcome too, but certainly not needed. My office may be in a dark corner of the library, but my door is always open! I am developing expertise in our streaming audio and video databases and would love to show those to you.
In addition to providing reference in the Music Library, I’ll bring the show to you: if you ever need in-class instruction in Library services, just let me know. This is especially true for the School of Music and the Ira Brind School of Theater Arts, since I am your new library liaison. Any time you have questions about library services and resources, or wish to arrange research instruction sessions, please drop me a line. I truly look forward to working with you.
Random fun facts…
- I still have pretty much every action figure I have ever owned since childhood, and I am still buying more. Recent acquisitions:
- I have two awesome cats, Butters and Tuxedo. Can you guess which one is Tux?
- I used to wear make-up and play in an eighties hair metal cover band.
Related fun facts…
- Finishing up my MLIS from Drexel University
- Libraries at which I have worked:
- Rowan University Music Library
- Ocean County College Library
- Collingswood Public Library (intern)
- Ocean County Library
You made it to the end! Awesome.
Enjoy the rest of your day,
Music Reference Librarian
The University of the Arts, University Libraries
320 S Broad St ~ Philadelphia PA 19102
firstname.lastname@example.org ~ 215.717.6293 ~ Fax: 215-717-6287