This is the second of a series of UArts Libraries blog posts we’ll write about student artwork in the school catalogs. Some students will be well-known and others less so, but the work will always be interesting.
Frederic Charles Clayter (1890-1978) attended the Pennsylvania Museum School of Industrial Art (PMSIA, now UArts College of Art, Media & Design) from 1911-12 through 1913-14, studying metalwork, a program begun in 1903. Shortly after leaving PMSIA, Clayter began a long career as a faculty member at the University of Pittsburgh (1916-1921) and at Carnegie Mellon University (1921-1956) in industrial design. Industrial design at that time often included crafts such as metalwork and ceramics. In an article from the Journal of Design History**, many former students had fond memories of Professor Clayter.
Considered a master goldsmith, Clayter had continued his studies in metalwork in England for a year and was a first fellow and governor of the Louis Comfort Tiffany Foundation. He was the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts Artist of the Year in 1953, and earned commissions to create trophies and awards over the years. He continued his work in jewelry design in addition to his work as a faculty member and was an active member of the Pittsburgh art scene.
** Lesko, Jim. “Industrial Design at Carnegie Institute of Technology, 1934-1967.” Journal of Design History 10.3 (1997): 269-92. http://0-www.jstor.org.catalog.library.uarts.edu/stable/1316296